The National Botanic Gardens (https://bathroomrenovationdublin.ie/) is a botanical garden, situated in Glasnevin, 5 km north-west of Dublin city centre, Ireland. The 19.5 hectares are located in between Glasnevin Cemetery and the River Tolka where it forms part of the river’s floodplain.
The gardens were founded in 1795 by the Dublin Society (later on the Royal Dublin Society) and are today in State ownership through the Workplace of Public Works. They hold around 20,000 living plants and numerous millions of dried plant specimens. There are several architecturally notable greenhouses. Today the Glasnevin website is the head office of the National Botanic Gardens of Ireland which has a satellite garden and arboretum at Kilmacurragh in County Wicklow.
The gardens participate in nationwide and worldwide initiatives for biodiversity conservation and sustainable advancement. The Director, Dr. Matthew Jebb, is also Chairman of PlantNetwork: The Plant Collections Network of Britain and Ireland. It is Ireland’s seventh most visited tourist attraction, and the 2nd most checked out complimentary destination.
The poet Thomas Tickell owned a house and small estate in Glasnevin and, in 1795, they were offered to the Irish Parliament and offered to the Royal Dublin Society for them to develop Ireland’s first botanic gardens. A double line of yew trees, known as “Addison’s Walk” survives from this duration.
The initial function of the gardens was to advance understanding of plants for agricultural, medical and dyeing purposes. The gardens were the very first location in Ireland where the infection responsible for the 1845 – 1847 potato famine was identified. Throughout the famine, research to stop the infection was carried out at the gardens.
Walter Wade and John Underwood, the very first Director and Superintendent respectively, executed the layout of the gardens, but, when Wade died in 1825, they decreased for some years. From 1834, Director Ninian Nivan brought new life into the gardens, performing some redesign. This program of modification and development continued with the following Directors into the late 1960s.
Wittgenstein plaque in the Palm House. The gardens were placed into federal government care in 1877. In the winter of 1948/9 Ludwig Wittgenstein lived and operated in Ireland. He frequently concerned the Palm House to sit and compose. There is a plaque honoring him on the actions he rested on.
Learn more about Kilmainham Gaol