When it was first built in 1796, Kilmainham Gaol was called the “New Gaol” to differentiate it from the old prison it was meant to replace– a noisome dungeon, just a few hundred metres from today site. It was formally called the County of Dublin Gaol, and was initially run by the Grand Jury for County Dublin.
Initially, public hangings occurred at the front of the jail. Nevertheless, from the 1820s onward extremely couple of hangings, public or private, took place at Kilmainham. A little hanging cell was built in the jail in 1891. It lies on the very first floor, in between the west wing and the east wing.
There was no partition of prisoners; men, women and children were incarcerated as high as 5 in each cell, with only a single candle light for light and heat. The majority of their time was spent in the cold and the dark, and each candle light needed to last for two weeks. Its cells were approximately 28 square metres in location. Children were sometimes arrested for minor theft, the youngest stated to be a seven-year-old child, while much of the adult prisoners were carried to Australia.
Kilmainham Gaol (https://bathroomrenovationdublin.ie) is a previous prison in Kilmainham, Dublin, Ireland. It is now a museum run by the Office of Public Works, an agency of the Federal government of Ireland. Many Irish revolutionaries, including the leaders of the 1916 Easter Rising, were sent to prison and carried out in the jail by the orders of the UK Federal government.
Learn more about Irish Whiskey Museum