Dublin Castle (https://bathroomrenovationdublin.ie/) was first established as a significant protective work by Meiler Fitzhenry on the orders of King John of England in 1204, at some point after the Norman invasion of Ireland in 1169, when it was commanded that a castle be developed with strong walls and good ditches for the defence of the city, the administration of justice, and the security of the King’s treasure.
Largely total by 1230, the castle was of normal Norman yard design, with a main square without a keep, bounded on all sides by high defensive walls and protected at each corner by a circular tower. Sited to the south-east of Norman Dublin, the castle formed one corner of the outer boundary of the city, using the River Poddle as a natural methods of defence along two of its sides.
The city wall directly abutted the castle’s northeast Powder Tower, extending north and westwards around the city before rejoining the castle at its southwestern Bermingham Tower In 1620 the English-born judge Luke Gernon was greatly impressed by the wall: “a substantial and mighty wall, foursquare, and of extraordinary thickness”.
Dublin Castle is a major Irish government complex, conference centre, and tourist destination. It is located off Dame Street in Dublin.
Till 1922 it was the seat of the British government’s administration in Ireland. Most of the existing building and construction dates from the 18th century, though a castle has actually stood on the website given that the days of King John, the first Lord of Ireland. The Castle acted as the seat of English, then later British, government of Ireland under the Lordship of Ireland (1171 – 1541), the Kingdom of Ireland (1541– 1800), and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (1800 – 1922).
After the finalizing of the Anglo-Irish Treaty in December 1921, the complex was ceremonially turned over to the recently formed Provisional Government led by Michael Collins. It now hosts the inauguration of each President of Ireland and numerous State receptions.
The castle was developed by the dark pool (” Dubh Linn”) which offered Dublin its name. This pool rests on the lower course of the River Poddle prior to its confluence with the River Liffey; when the castle was built, the Liffey was much larger, and the castle was efficiently defended by both rivers. The Poddle today runs under the complex. The castle includes towers at 2 corners; other towers that when existed are gone without trace.
The base of the original Bermingham Tower is among the few staying parts of the original castle. At the southwest corner of the castle, the tower has a modern upper part. It is unclear which member of the De Bermingham household the tower was named for; maybe William or Walter or John or Sir Walter.
The Record Tower at the southeast corner is another original part of the castle. It hosted the Garda Museum until its 2017 relaunch in the Treasury Structure.
Learn more about The National Museum of Ireland – Archaeology